I have a personal interest in the current extreme Wildfire situation in B.C., Canada as it is my home Province. Recall, recently we shared the story of how our friends and colleagues at Esri small business startup, Echosec, supported their lead developer in building a BC wildfire public information ArcGIS online resource in order to help keep the public informed and safe. Building on that and after searching for additional resources, the following is a list of useful map and webmap resources providing real-time and near real-time information, news, updates, and other data of interest. As resources are found, this list will continue to grow (please feel free to share your tips to be included here)
Maps & Webmaps of interest for #BCwildfires
The Regional District of Okanagen-Similkameen evacuation order maps
BC Government – BC Wildfire Service map of Active Wildfires
BC Firemap Plus, helps the public to be informed about wildfire dangers, emergency response resources and more. Esri Startup program company Echosec director of product development, Neil Johnston, had a personal interest and used his skills to quickly pull together public, open data and make it available to all.
- FireWork – To help Canadians anticipate wildfire smoke events, Environment and Climate Change Canada has developed FireWork, a smoke prediction system that operates during the wildfire season and makes it possible to include wildfire smoke in air quality forecasts. Current conditions are updated every hour in your community’s Air Quality Health Index.
- Government of BC Wildfire Status page.
- Tips for viewing wildfire activity maps in Google Earth
- Canadian Wild Fire Information System
- Regional Air Quality Deterministic Prediction System (RAQDPS)
- Washington state –Northwest Large Fire Interactive Map
- Idaho Satellite Smoke Analysis Interactive decision support for air quality forecasting
Do you maintain or know of a useful online Webmap or map resource that can help support the BCWildfires emergency response effort? Please share in a comment or message @gletham on Twitter
Useful Twitter Accounts to follow:
- BCGovernment current wildfire situation
- Twitter #BCwildfire
- Echosec Social Search
- Esri startup program stimulating innovation
- @BCgovfireinfo on Twitter
- @echosec_search on Twitter
- BC Government wildfire status
- Introduction to the ArcGIS Marketplace – Apps, Content, Opportunity for Geotech Startups
Keywords: Esri, BC, Canada, esri startup, echosec, opendata, wildfire, arcgis online
— Echosec (@echosec_search) August 2, 2017