Sadly we are once again witnessing another terrible tragedy unfolding, this time in the Northern California wine country region just north of San Francisco, CA. The wildfires ravaging the area are fast moving, deadly, and violent and we hope our friends and colleagues in the area are all safe. There’s many resources to help inform the public and provide real-time and near real-time information and safety tips.
View continuously updated information about wildfires and their perimeters from the USGS and other agencies. You can also see live weather warnings and wind information from NOAA, as well as live weather radar from AccuWeather. Get a local perspective on events by turning on geotagged social media from Twitter, YouTube, and Flickr on the Layers tab.
The United States Forest Service (USFS) fights wildfires and other natural disasters in more than 155 national forests and 20 national grasslands, totaling an estimated 193 million acres or 30% of all federally-managed lands. Every year thousands of acres of forests are engulfed in fires
Live Fire WebApp, developed in WebAppbuilder for ArcGIS – A clever and informative data resource put together by user pjdohertygis. A number of data layers have been collected and shared here including: Fire locations, reports, MODIS hot spots, hospitals, emergency shelters and more.
County of Sonoma Road Closure Map – View information about detours, closures and incidents that are affecting traffic flow
Nevada County Incident Map
10 more useful wildfire incident and mapping resources:
- Read more about how the USFS is using PDF Maps
- The Wildfire Activity Map in ArcGIS Online
- CalFire – active wildfire mapping system
- Esri wildfire response system
- GeoMAC Wildfire viewer
- InciWeb Incident information system
- USGS real-time wildfire information
- Mapbox mapping wildfires with data feeds
- Global incident wildfire maps
- Active Fire Mapping Program
What online map resources do you use to monitor and track wildfire activity? Please do share with us on twitter @geojobegis
- Maps and Webmaps Monitoring and Reporting Real-Time Wildfire Smoke and Air Quality
- US Forest Service (USFS) Fighting Wildfires with Mobile Maps – and 10 Wildfire Mapping Resources