Our Admin tools for ArcGIS Online has been tremendously popular with ArcGIS Admins all over the World. One of the most popular capabilities of the Tools (Pro) is the ability to clone your organization – keep in mind, for those users performing an organizational clone for the first time, we suggest you contact us for a little assistance and some first timer tips!
The original intent of our clone tools is to perform much smaller transfers of items that do not require item ownership or sharing to be preserved. However, for those wishing to push the limits a little and clone an entire organization we do support this and are able to help.
From our Knowledge Base, we do have some online support that you will find useful. the following are some recommended steps in the cloning process:
- Tag all items in the origin the by owner
- Tag all items in the origin by their group
- Tag all groups in the origin by their owner
- Tag all users in the origin by their group membership
- Tag all users in the origin by their role
- Clone all Feature Services, Map Services, Image Services from the origin to the target
- Clone all WebMaps from the origin to the target
- Clone all Misc Content from the origin to the target (anything that is not a Feature Service, Map Service, Image Service, WebMap, or WebApp)
- Clone all Web Apps from the origin to the target
- Clone Custom Roles from the origin to the target
- Create users in the target (NOTE: This may be done earlier, but this is the absolute latest it may happen in the process)
- Update ownership of items in the target
- Update ownership of groups in the target
- Share items with groups in the target
- Invite users to groups in the target
- Update user roles in the target
- The size of your data in regards to credit consumption and overall time the operation will take. Larger hosted datasets will consume credits in the target organization once they are cloned and may cause the clone to appear to “hang” or stop working while it is processing the large datasets.
- Tiled data is only supported if the service has the corresponding Service Definition that was used to publish it. Moving tiled services without a Service Definition is currently not supported. Instructions on the best way to handle tiled data without a Service Definition can be provided, but it is not supported as part of a “one click” clone and will take a little preparation to accomplish the clone. Please note that in addition to traditional raster / tiled data types, this limitation also applies to hosted feature layers that are subsequently published as tiled layers.
- The relationship between your items can sometimes cause more data to move than initially realized. It is recommended to use the “View Item Dependencies” tool on any items that will be cloned so a full picture can be had of every item that will will be moved as part of a clone.
- See Considerations Regarding Cloning for important details before cloning for the first time
Admin Tools provides some 60+ tools (90% of these tools are bundled in the Free version) that greatly simplify routine tasks for ArcGIS administrators. These include tools to perform the following tasks:
• create and manage groups
• tag, move, share, delete items
• manage protection
• manage user entitlements
• update user credits and roles
• delete and migrate users
• import/export via CSV
• email users
• much more!
Are you having difficulty managing your ArcGIS users? Consider adopting our Admin Tools to be more productive and efficient. The GEO Jobe Knowledge Base is a public, community resource where users and those interested in GEO Jobe’s enterprise solutions, particularly Admin Tools for ArcGIS Online and the geo powered cloud solution, can access help resources, answers to frequently asked questions, articles, support documents, and more via a friendly, easy to use, helpful web site.